Monday, January 4, 2010

Wait…we’re getting married this weekend?


Guys, unless you don’t care about sports, make sure to not forget about the big game. Whether it be opening weekend of March Madness, the BCS National Championship, or the Superbowl, make sure you studied up on those future dates to ensure your wedding is free and clear of the big sports weekends.


Marrying the women of my dreams was absolutely no mistake. The mistake was in the date, March 21. We wanted that wedding date to be one year after we had met, it would be romantic. But then, guys start calling me following receiving their invitations asking what gives? I wondered, and then it hit me. This was the opening weekend of the NCAA Final 64 March Madness Tournament. Something I loved going to the sports bar with my dad, brother and friends to watch a keep tabs on who was winning their respective pools, but it was too late, the date was set. If this is the case with you, and it’s locked in with the venue, invitations are out, etc. then stick with the date. You’ll be glad you did. But if you’re still deciding on a date, keep the sports calendar in mind.

But maybe getting married on the big sports weekend will help you remember your anniversary for years to come. My dad got married on the weekend of Rutgers home football game, and he remembers that every time his anniversary approaches, as will I with the opening rounds of March Madness. The cool thing is, my wife actually wants to go to Vegas for one of our future anniversaries to bet on the college action, so I can’t complain too much, now can I.

But during my wedding weekend, we had fun with all the guys watching the games that Thursday and Friday, so it wasn’t a total bust. After all, the games last 40 to 60 minutes, depending on the sport, but your marriage is meant to last a life time, so bet on the latter first and foremost and make your wedding the greatest days of your lives!

1 comment:

  1. Great piece! I can't tell you how many weddings I shoot where the groom and his men disappear at the reception only to be huddled around the bar tv watching the "game"! Most often, it makes for a cranky bride and lots of missed photo opps. However with the right planning and forethought, it can be a great way to add personality and fun to a wedding. And BLUEman, yes you are a lucky guy! Vegas for sports action? Nice!

    ReplyDelete